Oreo Cream & Caramel Stuffed Donuts
One of my favorite store purchased cookies is the Oreo. Seriously what person doesn’t like Oreos? When I saw this recipe on my Facebook feed I had to give it a try, with my personal twist…adding caramel. Yes, I agree caramel makes everything better.
For this recipe, I used Double Stuff Oreos but would recommend using the traditional Oreo. The Double Stuff Oreo added too much cream to the mixture. If you only have Double Stuff in your pantry I would reduce the amount of cream cheese by 1 ounce.
The dough for this recipe mixed up easily and has a nice taste to it. #PlayWithYourFood and try incorporating this dough into your other recipes.
Pictured below you will notice I did add a caramel square instead of a chocolate chunk. For my taste, the additional chocolate would have been too rich. Get creative with this recipe and try using another flavor Oreo. The peanut butter Oreo would be very tasty!
Once formed into balls, while the oil was heating I placed the tray in my freezer. The dough is soft and felt it may break open, which some did, during frying. Be careful not to over stuff the donuts.
- 10 Oreo cookies
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces butter melted
- ½ cup milk
- 12 caramel squares
- In a Ziploc bag add cookies and crush into crumbs
- In a small bowl combine ½ of the cookie crumbs and softened cream cheese; divide into 12 equal portions about 1 tablespoon. Set remainder of the cookie crumbs for garnish
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl; combine
- Add milk and melted butter, mix together until dough begins to form a ball
- Place on a lightly floured surface and gently knead until dough in smooth
- Divide into 12 equal portions
- Roll each portion into a disk, place 1 tablespoon of cookies and cream mixture and 1 caramel square in the center.
- Fold the ends together into a ball; firmly seal the seam
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes
- Heat canola or sunflower or to 350 degrees
- Remove donuts from the freezer
- Gently place in hot oil, fry until golden on all sides
- Remove and drain on a paper towel
- Finish with powdered sugar or dip in melted chocolate and sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs