How can you go wrong with a cake that is made out of cheese and pairs perfectly with any cracker or crusty bread you have in the house? The answer is you can’t.
My Sun-dried Tomato & Pesto Cheese Cake has been center stage for many parties I have lost count. It is a crowd favorite and routinely devoured by young and old alike. The layers shown here are tasty sun-dried tomato and pesto but this would be equally yummy with other flavors.
Sun-dried Tomato & Pesto Cheese Cake
#PlayWithYourFood and get creative with the layers.
- Mexican using a salsa cheese layer, guacamole, and bean layer
- Spanish adding Manchego and chopped olives to the layers
- Hawaiian by mixing chopped pineapple and green onion
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1⅓ cups sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened and divided
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup basil pesto
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Beat 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, butter, Parmesan cheese, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Set aside.
- Process dried tomatoes in a food processor until chopped. Add 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, tomato paste, and ½ teaspoon salt; process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Spoon into a bowl, and set aside. Clean processor bowl.
- Add remaining 3-ounce package cream cheese, and ¼ to ½ cup pesto; pulse just until blended, stopping to scrape down sides. Depending on who thick your pesto is you may need to add more or less than ½ cup.
- Spray a 6-inch springform pan with cooking spray and line with plastic wrap. Spread ½ cup butter mixture evenly on bottom of springform pan. Layer with half of tomato mixture, ½ cup butter mixture, and half of basil mixture; top with ½ cup butter mixture. Repeat layers with remaining tomato mixture, ½ cup butter mixture, and remaining basil mixture. Top with remaining butter mixture. Cover with plastic wrap; chill at least 8 hours.
- Remove sides of pan; carefully remove the bottom of the pan, and place layered spread on a serving tray. Garnish, if desired. Serve with crackers or baguette slices.